Blogs Honored By My Presence

Thursday, March 16, 2017

COMPARE AND CONTRAST AMBROSE BRIECE AND WASHINGTON IRVING

In my opinion I like Ambrose's writings a lot more then Washington Irving's. Ambrose wrote in moving and explicit detail that helped explain what was going through his protagonists head. This let me emphasize with him  On the other hand Washington Irving put immense detail into his surroundings and explaining what everything looked like instead of developing his character in a way that makes him understandable by the readers. I think that most likely Washington did not want the readers to like his protagonist and thus made the writing like that on purpose, however in my opinion by doing so he made his writing rather boring and drab.

2 comments:

  1. You make a good point, Ryan. However, I can only half agree with you. I agree that Irving's writing style is a little too descriptive to the point that it is distracting.However, I wouldn't exactly say it was boring, just distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually kinda like deep descriptions. They help me visualize everything more clearly and can be interesting if they are accurately based on the region the story is set in. But I still prefer Bierce's style over Irving's.

    ReplyDelete